Exclusive - enable/disable with MIDI controller?

I’m thinking of installing FxSound but wondering if I can get some feedback on a possible concern. I use a MIDI keyboard and the music production software apps typically take exclusive control of audio output. While working with these apps, I’d want to do all the EQ tweaks inside these programs, and wouldn’t want Fx controlling any audio signals.

Am I okay to enable exclusive control of audio only when working on my own music, and let Fx take over for all other audio functions? Would this happen automatically once I quit all music production software applications? Any risk of conflicts really messing things up?

Windows 10, Realtek (WASPI?)Reaper 7, Kontakt 7, Pigments 4,

Any input much appreciated!

1 Like

Hi Benson,
I wanted to ask you some questions (e.g. is your intention to enable Exclusive Mode when working on music and to disable it at other times); but I think it would be wisest to admit that my technical knowledge is insufficient to answer your question.
Vijay is on holiday, and will be back the 4th; I will forward your question at that time.
Most forum users involved in music making consistently reported that FxSound did not process any of the audio from professional production tools; and I also noticed a separate volume control for MIDI in the Properties > Levels tab for the virtual FxSound Speakers device:

My personal choice/advice would be, to simply disable the FxSound Speakers device while working on music, and re-enable it when needed, which is easy and not risky, I’ve done it many times (though you might need to reset it as the Default Device manually afterwards).

Thanks @doolhoofd for your helpful response, including inserting the Fx properties screenshot.
Your advice makes logical sense.

to simply disable the FxSound Speakers device while working on music, and re-enable it when needed

However, the presence of the MIDI control in Fx Properties begs a relevant question for me because my keyboard and the music software I use is all MIDI-based. That is, “What does this particular control actually do or not do with MIDI signals?”

I’ll venture a guess and hope someone here will confirm or correct me. Could it be that at when the MIDI slider is at 100, Fx is 0 or completely disabled? ,

1 Like

I don’t know, I don’t use any MIDI instruments.
I’ve set a reminder, and will make sure to notify Vijay about this thread when he returns.

Hey @doolhoofd, thanks. I really appreciate you taking this MIDI question to Vijay. Is Vijay one of the Fx developers?

I should mention, in passing, that this forum’s on-screen design and functionality is really quite good. Easy to navigate, helpful tips, and a quite intuitive UI with a tasteful graphic layout.

1 Like

Yes, THE developer / lead engineer.

Thanks; the forum is hosted by discourse.org.

Not wanting to be a pest, but do you happen to know, @doolhoofd, if Vijay is aware of my question about managing MIDI in FxSound?

1 Like

Sorry to keep you waiting.
I wanted to give Vijay some time to recover and unpack from his travels.
Just sent him a message.

Many thanks, @doolhoofd!

1 Like

Hi @benson,
Sorry for the delay in my reply,
In Windows audio device topology, FxSound Speakers are an output device and if FxSound is chosen as the default output device, application audio outputs are streamed to FxSound. FxSound application then processes the audio stream and sends it to the physical audio device selected in FxSound application.
If your MIDI application requires exclusive use of the audio output device, you can enable exclusive mode for the output device. I would recommend that you turn off Fxsound processing using the FxSound power button in the application when using your MIDI application.
Even if MIDI speaker controls are displayed in FxSound Speaker properties, as far as I know FxSound audio driver does not do any MIDI related processing.
Hope my explanation is helpful. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

1 Like

Many thanks @bvijay for replying to my question about managing MIDI if FxSound is installed on a Windows computer. It appears from your explanation that simply disabling Fx before starting any MIDI work is the most practical procedure. That’s fine.

One follow-up question: Is there documentation for FxSound which explains all its audio functions?

I should draw out the context a bit. I’m downsizing my computer inventory because I’m moving out of the country. This means disposing of my bulky desktop computer, studio monitors, external audio interface etc. Everything will be done temporarily on a laptop with a cheap set of portable (disposable) speakers (wired, not bluetooth). These speakers are poorly EQ balanced, IMHO, with way too much gain on the lower end (i.e. bass). I’m hoping Fx can help boost mid and higher frequencies and suppress some of the low end.

Any advice on this is much appreciated!

Added thanks to @doolhoofd for bringing this Fx question to you on my behalf. Grateful I am.

bob

1 Like

It certainly can; I’ve added a screenshot below to illustrate and simplify things.
Bass is marked red (20 to 250 Hz),
Mids are marked yellow (250 Hz to 2 kHz),
Treble is marked white (2 to 20 kHz).
I can honestly say that FxSound’s Clarity slider is a unique and absolutely wonderful way to boost the higher frequencies, but I feel I should add though, that EqualizerAPO is one particular tool that allows for a more precise control, since the amount of bands you can create in its EQ as well as the amount of variation you can set for each band, is unlimited, while FxSound’s EQ currently only has 9 bands, and each band only has 25 possible settings.

You can find all the info in the Learning Center on the main website.
Let me just quickly break down the 5 Effects:

Clarity: a unique high-frequency booster
Ambience: instantly adds reverb to any audio track
Surround Sound: makes audio more spacious, expansive and immersive
Dynamic Boost: boosts the volume in a general and controlled manner
Bass Boost: boosts the low frequencies

Here’s the tutorial on the Effects:

Video:

The tutorial on the Equalizer:

Video:

The tutorial on Presets:

Video:

Also, here’s a quick link to the Bonus Presets:

And this is a Preset pack compiled by @Dolmatov containing a total of 59 Presets, including all 12 Bonus Presets linked above:

1 Like

Well, @doolhoofd, you’re a marvelous and very kind info provider. I salute you! I really appreciate your time and effort in posting all these follow-up tips and YouTube videos!

I think before I get to downloading Fx, I’ll scan the Learning Center and watch these videos.

I remain curious about the function of the MIDI slider you showed in your earlier post. I’m puzzled by because MIDI signals, as I understand them, aren’t continuous, but discrete (#1-127) and separate bits. The Fx MIDI slider, however, seems to suggest a smooth ramp of incoming MIDI data up or down.

1 Like

Thanks; I do my best. :man_mage:

This is what Vijay wrote above:

So, my guess is, it probably doesn’t matter.
But, you’re free to try the slider for yourself and find out, of course.

Yes, I’ll plan to first just turn off Fx when doing MIDI work, and back on otherwise. If all goes well and I don’t break it, or it doesn’t break me, I’ll try Fx’s MIDI to see what happens, satisfy my curiosity. So far, I haven’t seen anything MIDI related in the Learning Center, but I’ve still got a way to go to get through it.

1 Like

this helped a ton thank you so much my dood your amazing :slight_smile:

1 Like