One of my two output devices has no sound until plugging it out and back in

Hello there,
so until recently I used the paid-for DFX Audio Enhancer version I bought years ago. However I got a new computer now and figured I’d go with the newer, allegedly better FxSound software. From the user interface I must say it’s super nice to use and the sound quality is also great.
However, I have the same sound devices setup as on my old PC, but one of them constantly fails me.

I have my normal 2.1 speaker system plugged in via the back of my computer (3.5mm), and my Beyerdynamic headset is plugged in via a Sound Blaster X G5 USB-soundcard.
When I boot my computer, every now and then I have no sound when the Sound Blaster is pre-selected as output in FxSound from when it was the last device I had active before shutting off windows. If I change to Speaker (Realtek(R) Audio) I immediately have sound via my speakers, when switching back to Sound Blaster X G5 my headset remains silent. I have to unplug the USB cable and plug it back in, then after 2-3 seconds I have sound on my headset.

When I boot the computer and had last selected my speakers in FxSound audio always works fine, but switching to Sound Blaster X G5 results in no audio 95% of the time.

The only similar issues I found via Google said to disable Exclusive Mode in the sound settings for all devices, which I did but had no effect.

MB: Asus Prime Z790-P
PCU: Intel i7-13700KF
FxSound v1.1.15.0

1 Like

Good evening Rankori,
This is my standard list of settings I usually recommend checking first (it indeed always includes disabling Exclusive Mode for all devices, but since you’ve already done that, there’s no need to mention it again):

• Upgrade to the latest version, v1.1.17.0, available from fxsound.com or the Microsoft Store;
  • Make sure your computer, Windows and sound drivers have received all the latest updates;
  • Try browsing their manufacturer’s website to find and download software built specifically for your devices;
  • In the General section of FxSound’s Settings menu, try changing the setting for automatic switching;
  • Try running FxSound as Administrator;
  • In the Windows Sound Settings menu, make sure all your devices match at the same setting, with “24 bit 48000 Hz” being the maximum supported by FxSound;
  • In Windows Sound Settings, make sure the FxSound device is set as the Default Device;
  • If this doesn’t improve anything, try setting FxSound as the Default Communications Device;
  • In Windows Sound Settings, disable all Enhancements including Loudness Equalization for all devices;
  • In Windows Sound Settings, disable Hardware Acceleration for all devices supporting this option (can usually be found in the Advanced tab);
  • In Windows Sound Settings, disable all the devices you don’t need, including the hidden ones;
  • Try uninstalling and reinstalling the program (but I’m guessing you’ve already tried that);
  • Try downloading the program from a different source and installing that version instead;
  • Try uninstalling with specialized full uninstaller software (not an obligation and more of a last-resort option).

So please try tweaking these settings first, and post back with your results.
If your problem persists, I’ll call in some expert assistance.

1 Like

Another thing you could perhaps try, is completely removing, and then re-adding the SoundBlaster/Beyerdynamic device combination.
This will probably take a bit of time and effort, but if done carefully and correctly, I think there’s a real chance this might solve the issue.

1 Like

Thank you for your very detailed reply.
I had just downloaded FxSound directly from the landing page at https://www.fxsound.com/ so it’s odd I have an older version, but Changelog - FxSound has a “download latest” instead of just download button and that worked.
I had an issue with two of your suggestions:
I have sadly no Enhancements tab for any of my sound devices, so I cannot disable any (tho I would also assume it means there’d be none active to begin with).
Then about the starting as administrator bit: FxSound starts with Windows. Would you perhaps know an easy way to make it so it starts with Windows 11 as administrator? I found a VBS script online that one could put into startup, but I never did anything like that and thought it’s worth a try asking if you know an easier way directly through windows’ tools (like say checking a tick box :D)

That aside I followed every step and while it is too early to make a decisive call, I have not had the issue restarting the computer a few times. Once again thank you very much for the tips already.

1 Like

Here’s a how-to on that for every Windows version, let me know if it does the job:

1 Like

For current purposes, that’s a good thing.

Glad I could help.
Feel free to post again if the issue does return.

1 Like

Sadly the issue has indeed returned.
I now enabled “Start as Administrator” in the properties of the .exe that is listed in Auto Start, but now the Windows simply no longer auto starts FxSound at all, and that seems to be working as intended since autostart just doesn’t run elevated programs ever it seems.

I never quite understood what you meant by this but I’d give it a try as the last thing left I haven’t done yet, “Another thing you could perhaps try, is completely removing, and then re-adding the SoundBlaster/Beyerdynamic device combination.
This will probably take a bit of time and effort, but if done carefully and correctly, I think there’s a real chance this might solve the issue.”.
How do I completely remove the USB Soundcard and Beyerdynamic combination beyond unplugging the USB cable?

1 Like

Sorry, that’s my fault, I didn’t know that was going to happen.
In that case, I would advise you to undo setting FxSound to run with Administrator privileges.

Removing a device either entails,

• Disabling it in the Windows Sound Settings menu (the soft and less dangerous option), or,
  • Deleting the device’s driver(s) in Device Manager (the hard ànd quite risky option (hard here not referring to the amount of effort required, but to the radicality of the process)).

But before you do any of that, please let me ask Vijay if he knows some troubleshooting options.

Hi @bvijay,
@Rankori 's FxSound processing is giving problems with one specific output device, even after applying the fixes I provided.
Could you please take a look at the problem (see below) and offer further suggestions, if possible?
Thank you.

1 Like

Thank you very much for all the help already, I very much appreciate it.

I will do the soft variant later. My idea was disabling Sound Blaster X G5 in the Sound menu, restarting Windows, then enabling it again and restart Windows again.
Will that be alright?

1 Like

Yes, you could try that, and if it doesn’t work, try the same process again, but this time, disable both the FxSound ànd Sound Blaster devices.
Let me know if it helped.

1 Like

Yes I will monitor the situation for some time. The weird thing is how occasionally I have sound when starting the computer, so it makes it very difficult to find out whether or not the issue has been resolved. I plugged my old computer back in and started it a few times over these last 2 days, to see if maybe the USB soundcard is the issue, but it worked fine there everytime like normal.

1 Like

What in the name of God are you doing. Two sound devices running simultaneously in not a good idea at all. Disable Realtek crap ASAP, connect your speakers/headphones to Sound Blaster X G5.

1 Like

@Rankori:
@caleb59’s advice is probably solid.
Could you please try this?

So I’d have to physically plug my headset out and my speakers in and vice versa every time I have to swap between them. Odd. I’ve used two sound devices with DFX for a decade with no trouble ever. Maybe I’ll just go back to DFX then and see if that works properly.
Thanks for the help!

1 Like

If you want to connect simultaneously speakers and headphones (+ mic) you had to buy for example Sound Blaster Z card. Standalone DAC audio system is a very good choice but you must bear in mind possible problems with audio accessories compatibility and for best performance only one device connected at once.

Integrated Realtek audio system is a piece of crap in simple words.

1 Like

Sorry to be the messenger of bad news, but I don’t know if that will work…
Support for the legacy versions has ended, and all licence keys have become invalid…

That being said, there is also good news:

Hi @Rankori
Since the sound card is connected to USB, it is possible that the USB device is powered off during system standby.
Can you please check in device manager if Sound Blaster X G5 has any power management tab in its property pages and if any option is selected to turn off the device to save power. I have given the USB Root Hub property pages in my system for an example.

1 Like

Hello @bvijay
This tab sadly does not exist, I assume that it’s because the Soundcard is not listed under USB devices but only as an audio device, but that’s just a guess. Thank you for the idea tho, I appreciate it.
I have since disabled all sound devices, uninstalled all sound drivers and reinstalled them all and it now works ever since. Given how unregularly the issue showed up I am not yet going to say I fixed it entirely but it’s looking good so far.

1 Like

Hi @Rankori, Thanks for updating. Good to know that the issue is not appearing after reinstalling all the sound drivers.
You can also check the power management settings on the USB root hub and USB controllers on your PC. The settings might affect the USB device connected to the port of that controller.

2 Likes

Be advised =

1 Like