Best bang for my buck

Hi Gabby,
First, two general guidelines:

1. Don’t set any of the Effects or EQ sliders past level 4.
  2. Avoid clipping (the first point will help with that). Whenever you encounter clipping distortion, it means you’ve hit your system’s threshold. Try to find the source, and turn it down.

These are the two things I’m understanding you’re aiming for:

If you’re looking for an “objective/neutral” sound - which is the pursuit of most “audiophiles,” and often the audiophiliac definition of “sound quality” - then I’m sorry to say that FxSound can only lead you astray, since it does what its name says, it adds effects to your sound, and, in doing so, changes the way the original recording sounds, or was meant to sound.
The Ambience slider, for example, adds a form of echo known as reverb to any audio stream, which was never present in the original recording to begin with.
Concerning detail in the high frequencies - the Clarity slider will definitely do wonders for that. Vocals, hihats and tambourines will come through much more pronounced, detailed and clearly when you boost the Clarity. You can also achieve a similar, more selective and more precise boost using the last three EQ sliders to the right.
While the Bass Boost slider will lend power, rumble and intensity to your bass, it will not add “detail” to it per se. You can achieve a similar and more selective and precise boost using the first two EQ sliders to the left.
The Dynamic Boost slider will boost the volume in a general and controlled manner, therefore, turning the volume of your device or system down a bit, and the Dynamic Boost slider up accordingly, will also add more detail and clarity to your audio stream. The downside here, as mentioned above, is that while the result will sound more pleasant to the ear, it will also be less “objective.”

You can find all available FxSound tutorials in this post I made last month: