Update Task

I did not look for a bug list.

When installed, an entry is created in the task scheduler library to run an update check.

The syntax is improperly formatted. The path is not quote delimited.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback.
I went ahead and forwarded it, hope you donā€™t mind.

Noticed it years ago. Iā€™m really lazy.

1 Like

Hi @Antman
Are you referring to this path in the task scheduler?

1 Like

Yes

1 Like

To add quotes to the path, I tried the following and got errors from schtasks command
C:\Windows\System32>schtasks /create /sc daily /tn ā€œFxSound\Updateā€ /tr ā€œā€œC:\Program Files\FxSound LLC\FxSound\updater.exeā€ /silentā€ /st 10:00 /f
ERROR: Invalid argument/option - ā€˜Files\FxSoundā€™.
Type ā€œSCHTASKS /CREATE /?ā€ for usage.

C:\Windows\System32>schtasks /create /sc daily /tn ā€œFxSound\Updateā€ /tr ā€œā€œC:\Program Files\FxSound LLC\FxSound\updater.exe /silentā€ā€ /st 10:00 /f
ERROR: Invalid argument/option - ā€˜Files\FxSoundā€™.
Type ā€œSCHTASKS /CREATE /?ā€ for usage.

Only the following command works where the path is not quote formatted,
C:\Windows\System32>schtasks /create /sc daily /tn ā€œFxSound\Updateā€ /tr ā€œC:\Program Files\FxSound LLC\FxSound\updater.exe /silentā€ /st 10:00 /f
SUCCESS: The scheduled task ā€œFxSound\Updateā€ has successfully been created.

1 Like

Edited task:

The default condition of the task after install:

Perhaps you need to (quote) delimit the line elsewhere in the code.
I do not enter a create command. I edit an existing task (assumed to be the task you create).

First detected by Autoruns several Windows versions ago (editing the task has been a part of the install for some time - may or may not coincide with the death of DFX.). Currently present in Win11 22H2 clean.

1 Like

Does C:\Progra~1 still work? If yes, no delimiter.

1 Like

I donā€™t code for a living. I note that a switch is being passed as a command. The task sched GUI treats the switch as a separate field.

I will play with it.

1 Like

Observation:
On a new install of Win11, the same truncated command was listed in tasksched.

When I edited the line (parse and move the [Files\FxSound LLC\FxSound\updater.exe /silent] text -

I forgot to place quotes in the Program/Task field. Windows prompted me to clarify and I got a dialog box -

Do you want to run C:\Program.exe
or
Do you want to run C:\Program Files\FxSound LLC\FxSound\updater.exe with the switch /silent?

I chose the latter. Task Scheduler automatically populated each of the two fields AND entered quotes in the path.

BUTT

When I saved it, it reverted to the same condition install leaves behind, a truncated command line with most of the path in the switch field.

1 Like

This is the command that gets added in task scheduler by my installer.

My Windows 11 OS version is 10.0.22621.1848

Can you try running this command and see what gets added to the task scheduler,
schtasks /create /sc daily /tn ā€œFxSound\Updateā€ /tr ā€œC:\Program Files\FxSound LLC\FxSound\updater.exe /silentā€ /st 10:00 /f

1 Like

tldr; i think with my pen. Remove the quotes from ā€œFxSound\Updateā€ Windows is parsing that correctly.

schtasks /create /sc daily /tn FxSound\Update /tr ā€œC:\Program Files\FxSound LLC\FxSound\updater.exe /silentā€ /st 10:00 /f

1 Like

Not working on windows 7, try this :

schtasks /create /sc daily /tn FxSound\Update /tr "'C:\Program Files\FxSound LLC\FxSound\updater.exe' /silent" /st 10:00 /f

2 Likes

Successfully created the task.

@bvijay Note the apostrophes that wrap the path and switch.

1 Like

No, only path in apostrophes!

1 Like

Sure, I will update the installer in the next release to create the task in this format.

1 Like

Hi @Antman

v.1.1.20.0 has the update task formatting changes. Can you please install and check if the task gets created as expected in your PC?

1 Like

Windows 7 - all ok, iā€™m checked it after publish beta version.

2 Likes

Thank you @raddy for confirming

1 Like