Turn on FxSound, no music is playing, standby state, CPU and GPU power consumption increase by 4 watts each

Turn on FxSound, no music is playing, standby state, CPU and GPU power consumption increase by 4 watts each.

FxSound v1.1.20.0
Notebook, Windows 11 23H2
AMD 7840HS CPU with Radeon 780M Graphics
AMD Software Adrenalin Edition 23.11.1

The top half of the screenshot shows the power consumption when FxSound is turned on, and the bottom half is the power consumption when FxSound is turned off.

1 Like

H-mm, top screenshot with running microsoft edge, bottom without ms edge - why?

1 Like

It’s not related to the EDGE browser, I just temporarily closed it. Turning EDGE on or off has no effect on the results. However, after turning off FxSound in the bottom right corner of the taskbar, the power consumption significantly decreases. I have tested it multiple times and confirmed this.

1 Like

Ok, please make screenshots with running ms edge, aida64 & task manager on the front of your desktop with fxsound is on and off mode, because i’m can’t confirm this.

1 Like

No need for more screenshots, you can confirm this issue with AIDA64 on your computer, turn off FxSound you can see a decrease in power consumption.
other people have also reported high power consumption issues

1 Like

No, i can’t view power consumption.

Where? Why you start another theme about this?

1 Like

Hi @JDF2008,
Apologies for the delay in my reply; I was, quite simply, asleep.
I pinned my standard troubleshooting list to the top of the forum, it would be helpful if you could go through that first to perform some basic tweaking, e.g. installing the latest version, disabling Exclusive Mode, and the likes.

True.
Here’s a compilation of the threads on this topic, in chronological order:

1. Report by user @Aromato
  2. Report by user @Audiofile
  3. Reports by users @cracky, @me_lon, @Lspeed, @romix
  4. Report by user @Pulsar

That being said, @bvijay recently addressed the CPU/RAM use issue in v1.1.19.0:

There was also a report of increased laptop battery drain by user @aaddaas.
Some advice from similar threads:

1. Disable all unneeded devices including hidden ones in Windows Sound Settings;
  2. Change the Power settings to make the computer/display stay on/awake longer;
  3. Check if your computer supports modern standby power states (S0 low-power idle) by running this command:

powercfg /a

You can download HWiNFO to check power consumption, or update AIDA64 to version 7.00.6700

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. I have checked and my computer supports modern standby S0 low-power mode.
Essentially, this is a bug and I hope it can be fixed.
You can use AIDA64 on the Win11 23H2 system to verify this issue.

1 Like

Ok.
Thank you for reporting this behavior.
I’ve notified @bvijay.

1 Like

HWINFO also shows voltage only. Screenshots from current version of aida64.
The sensor of power consumption depends on computer hardware.
But, if i run any chromium-compatible browser - the minimum voltage of CPU goes up by 0.1-0.3V.

1 Like

This thread is an example of professionalism. It now includes due recognition.

1 Like

@Antman:
Thanks! :smiling_face:

@JDF2008:
This was @bvijay’s response,

Thanks.
I have disabled FxSound startup and waiting for the next version update to fix it.

1 Like

Please, don’t count on that.
We know as good as nothing about this bug, and our team is still very small.

I understand. I can wait.
I will temporarily use Dolby Atmos instead.

1 Like