No sound from laptop speakers no matter what?

I installed fxSound and all seemed well for an afternoon of use, used it with my laptop speakers and bluetooth headphones.

The for no reason I can find the laptop speakers stopped making any sound. Headphones plugged in that also use a Realtek chip or the same chip as the speakers, not sure work fine. Tried several other devices like a USB audio adapter, works fine. Only the laptop speakers have stopped working. I uninstalled fxSound, I uninstalled reinstalled Realtek drivers. I messed around with this for HOURS. Effectively fxSound has broken my laptop!!! I’ve tried reinstalling fxSound and everything works as it should EXCEPT my speakers!

This is an HP ZBook Studio G10 and I’ve only had it about 4 months. It’s an absolutely amazing, top quality laptop and I’m at my wits end! I don’t know what else to try other than re-installing Windows 10! And I have a TON of apps, it would take me DAYS to get this laptop back to where it is.

I’m DESPERATE to get my speakers working again, as that’s by far the primary audio device I use!

Any help or suggestions welcome. I’ll donate to FxSound if someone get’s this working again! I’m heartbroken and frustrated to an extreme degree! HELP! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good evening Dylan,
Do you know which devices are associated with the laptopspeaker inside Windows Sound Settings and Device Manager? And have you checked both to see if the associated device is perhaps disabled or hidden?
This should be the laptop’s dedicated support page, including contact options for HP:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/details/hp-zbook-studio-16-inch-g10-mobile-workstation-pc/2101656405

As I mentioned in my original post it’s a Realtek device and driver.

Device status in the Device Manager is, “This device is working properly.”

The last event in the device properties for it is, “Device started”

The information listed for that event is,
"Device INTELAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0245&SUBSYS_103C8B8F&REV_1000\5&26816dff&0&0001 was started.

Driver Name: oem196.inf
Class Guid: {4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Service: IntcAzAudAddService
Lower Filters:
Upper Filters:
"

Driver files are,
C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\dmk.sys
Provider: Microsoft Corporation
File Version: 10.0.19041.4648 (WinBuild. 160101.0800)

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ksthunk.sys

C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\portcls.sys

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\RTAIODAT.DAT
Provider: Unknown
File Version: Unknown

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\RTKVHD64.sys
Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
File Version: 6.0.9655.1

It’s labeled in the Windows 10 volume/device selection in the task bar and in FxSound as “Speakers (Realtek (R) Audio)”

If I play sounds the Windows “App volume device preferences” and FxSound shows a graphical representation of the sounds varying, but there is no sound from the speakers.

When I turn off FxSound with it’s power button on it’s interface, I still cannot select the Realtek sound device in the Widows volume control or in “App volume device preferences”, FxSound instantly takes it’s place. Is that how it’s supposed to operate even with FxSound in “off” mode??!!! FxSound should allow COMPLETELY bypassing it when it’s not desired!

I can only conclude than FxSound is intercepting the output from this driver, sound device and there’s something broken in FxSound so it never gets out of the FxSound virtual audio device?

Every indication is the Realtek device, drivers, physical speakers are working, BUT THERE IS SIMPLY NO SOUND FROM THE SPEAKERS. Again, as I said in my original post, the analog headphone output, also a Realtek device, likely using the same Realtek chip does work!

The other explanation is a hardware failure of both the main and mini sub hardware of the laptop just hours after installing FxSound after months of flawless use. I find that very unlikely, I was not listening to anything at very high volumes or anything, more just using FxSound to boost very faint content to normal volumes, so it’s not likely I overloaded anything.

I feel there’s a bug in FxSound and even wheb uninstalling FxSound there’s something left installed/in place that’s preventing the speaker output. All other audio devices I try work fine with or without FxSound installed including the Realek based analog headphone output.

1 Like

Have you tried simply disabling the FxSound Speakers device in Windows Sound yet, and if not, could you try that first, and share the results?

If you want to get rid of FxSound entirely, you can find instructions on how to manually remove the FxSound Audio Enhancer driver from Device Manager, as well as a list of alternatives, in the troubleshooting list bannered to the top of the forum.
Or, you could try uninstalling FxSound with specialized full uninstaller software. From what I’ve heard, Revo seems like one of the best free options.

[EDIT] But please, wait a minute first. I’ve notified @bvijay of your problem, he knows way more about computers than me.

For a similar issue on no audio, I have provided some suggestions to check the volume in system settings and volume mixer. Also if any Realtek audio enhancement application is running, it can cause this issue.
Can you please check these?
Quiet sound - Get Help - FxSound

1 Like

It’s working again! I don’t know what fixed it unfortunately? But I had re-intstalled FxSound in hopes that would clean up anything left unclean on my first attempt to uninstall it. That didn’t fix it, but I took it off the list of apps to start at startup and rebooted. The speakers worked! I ran FxSound and it’s working fine with the speakers. If I reboot without FxSound running the speaker works.

So, all is well. I don’t know why or how? But I’m just happy it is!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

2 Likes

@Dylanear:

Very happy to hear about the miraculous recovery.
Sometimes, you can just get lucky like that…

:four_leaf_clover: :rainbow: