Stereo Sound disabled with FxSound

I would suggest trying this or any other headphones/speakers directly connected to the system. If the problem only exist with this combination and not when directly connect/using other headphone/speakers, it is wether the DAC or some strange incompatibility. I also would suggest doing the same the other way round: try installing FxSound on another system if you can and use the SAME setup and see what happens.

With remote diagnostics like this, we can only guess around mostly and need to find a spot where we see any difference or hint to start over from there … if you really want to find out, there some testing to being done now. At some point, there will be a difference hinting us in the right direction; we just have to find it …

2 Likes

I tried other headphones with the dac and motherboard, the result is still the same.

I tried to install FxSound on anther device and tried it with 2 different headphones, with and without the dac. The result are also the same.

I honestly have no idea what else I can try. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Nothing, i guess. In this case, only @bvijay can finally and maybe say what is happening and if there is a way to fix this.

2 Likes

Indeed.

wreckitralph-fixitfelix

1 Like

Hi @oss96
Can you try configuring and testing FxSound and the Headphones as Stereo speakers.
You can configure the headphones first without FxSound running and then run FxSound, configure FxSound speakers.

2 Likes

That was, if I’m not mistaken, the first thing I suggested, and it didn’t work… See my post above.
Any other suggestions?

1 Like

Sorry I missed that.
Since FxSound speakers are configured as stereo, from applications/OS to FxSound audio will be streamed as stereo. The output format from FxSound to the device is based on the format supported by the device. The format could be falling back to mono because the format supported by FiiO E10K Olympus 2 could not be queried.

2 Likes

That was our first guess as well, but the issue persists even when the FiiO device is not connected in the setup at all. So it must be machine-related, no?

2 Likes

To be specific, the application calls the Windows API IAudioClient::GetMixFormat to get the audio formats supported by the output device. So, on this machine FxSound is not able to find a compatible format to process stereo output. We can try to get some system information from dxdiag.
@oss96, can you run dxdiag.exe, click “Save All Information” and share us the system information text file.

2 Likes

the site doesn’t allow me to attach a file.
Here is the section of my sound devices:

-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
            Description: Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro (FiiO USB DAC-E10)
 Default Sound Playback: Yes
 Default Voice Playback: Yes
            Hardware ID: USB\VID_1852&PID_7022&REV_0001&MI_01
        Manufacturer ID: N/A
             Product ID: N/A
                   Type: N/A
            Driver Name: USBAUDIO.sys
         Driver Version: 10.0.22000.1 (English)
      Driver Attributes: Final Retail
            WHQL Logo'd: Yes
          Date and Size: 05/06/2021 02:00:00, 266240 bytes
            Other Files: 
        Driver Provider: Microsoft
         HW Accel Level: Emulation Only
              Cap Flags: 0xF1F
    Min/Max Sample Rate: 100, 200000
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 1, 0
 Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
              HW Memory: 0
       Voice Management: No
 EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
   I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No

Description: FxSound Speakers (FxSound Audio Enhancer)
 Default Sound Playback: No
 Default Voice Playback: No
            Hardware ID: Root\FXVAD
        Manufacturer ID: N/A
             Product ID: N/A
                   Type: N/A
            Driver Name: fxvad.sys
         Driver Version: 14.1.0.0 (English)
            WHQL Logo'd: Yes
          Date and Size: 17/03/2021 02:00:00, 326656 bytes
            Other Files: 
        Driver Provider: FxSound
         HW Accel Level: Emulation Only
              Cap Flags: 0xF1F
    Min/Max Sample Rate: 100, 200000
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 1, 0
 Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
              HW Memory: 0
       Voice Management: No
 EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
   I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No

---------------------
Sound Capture Devices
---------------------
            Description: Line In (Realtek(R) Audio)
  Default Sound Capture: No
  Default Voice Capture: No
            Driver Name: RTKVHD64.sys
         Driver Version: 6.0.9225.1 (English)
          Date and Size: 17/08/2021 02:00:00, 6505000 bytes
              Cap Flags: 0x1
           Format Flags: 0xFFFFF

Description: Microphone (Blue Snowball )
  Default Sound Capture: Yes
  Default Voice Capture: Yes
            Driver Name: USBAUDIO.sys
         Driver Version: 10.0.22000.1 (English)
          Date and Size: 05/06/2021 02:00:00, 266240 bytes
              Cap Flags: 0x1
           Format Flags: 0xFFFFF

1 Like

It seems to be using a default Windows driver from Microsoft. Is there maybe a more specific driver from the manufacturer for Windows?

You know, you can just plug and use most printers, for example; but for using special functions, you need the driver from the manufacturer which better describes its properties to the operating system so it can use them.

Since you are experiencing a less then expected behaviour when it comes to speaker/channel support, this could fit here …

2 Likes

no there isn’t it uses the standard windows audio drivers.
What I don’t understand is, how the program is not supposed to be the reason this happens?
As I stated, my headphones output a normal stereo audio stream, when FxSound is not running. As soon as I start it, the sound becomes mono.

As a programmer myself, after all the standard debug steps, which I checked myself and again after I was asked to do them, I would look at the program itself and see if there is something wrong with the software. Sadly I don’t have much knowledge about the Windows audio API’s, and lack the time to figure it out.

Right now, the only theory is, that my setup is somehow the culprit :sweat_smile:
Sry for saying this, but I think this is a bug, or a specific situation that wasn’t accounted for.

I gladly will provide whatever I can, but I don’t think my setup is somehow wrong.

[Edit: corrected a few words]

1 Like

Hah, yes, the program still has some very annoying bugs.
Sorry for all the trouble!

1 Like

We did not mean to say FxSound is NOT the cause; but there are differences.

A “bug” is, when an application behaves other than intended. Only Bvijay can answer that question. Sure, there might be issues still and i am personally aware of some of them. However, when there are issues with only a specific device type and only one of them, it might be not that easy in the end.

A “incompatibility” is, when the application and its opposite behave as intended but just do not work well together. In this case, there might be a solution or not. In the end, one side mostly has to integrate support for the other side. And since FxSound integrates as a general audio device and has not different support for special devices, this is also possible. And since it uses a Microsoft default driver, we do have the next potential cause as the OS itself is the next one and so forth.

There are also many other possibilities since the Windows eco system contains a vast amount of devices and their drivers. This is why Mac OS falsely often is seen as “better”; but the Mac OS just does need to support the few hardware parts there are and they are all made by Apple aswell. Windows trys to support thousand of thousands of devices from all the different manufacturers. Completely different situation.

Back to your situation: yes, i also do agree that there is something in your setup which triggers this situation, as i mentioned before. This does not need to be a bug or an incompatibility. PC audio ever since was and still is a more or less explored topic, compared to others. Even a cable not correctly placed can give you a situation where you are lacking sound channels (think of the jacks of headphones not completely put and such).

As for know and being just able to remote support the situation, i can’t think of anything else to try. There is an issues with the speaker setups i have became aware of with my 5.1 surround system since it still sets up the rear speakers incorrectly as side speakers. The guys tried to fix it but ran into other issues and reverted it for now. Maybe you can just wait until the fix is implemented again and it affects your situation so you at least have an outlook.

2 Likes

Hello @bvijay; user shared information as requested, waiting for your input.

1 Like

Make sure your headphones are properly connected to the computer.

1 Like

Go back to the properties of the sound manager and test again. Also, connecting several speakers to a computer requires an adapter you get from Radio Shack with about 4 or 6 inputs. You plug your speakers into the adapter and the one that stands alone goes into the computer.

1 Like

I’ve pinged @bvijay. He’ll try to take a look at this as soon as he can!

1 Like

Sorry for the delay in my response.
From the DxDiag logs, I couldn’t figure out the incompatibility with the output device audio format and FxSound.
For the output device audio format, FxSound uses the WAVEFORMATEX information of the device queried from the API IAudioClient::GetMixFormat IAudioClient::GetMixFormat (audioclient.h) - Win32 apps | Microsoft Docs
For debugging this issue, I can share sample code or command line application to get the audio format.

2 Likes

if you send me sample code or some script I can execute it and send the information :slight_smile:

2 Likes