Clarification about FxSound and Dolby Atmos?

I’ve read on a few forum posts that they were incompatible. Yet on my Windows 11 setup, it seems to be working fine without any special steps taken.

I simply installed the “Dolby Access” app, and enabled Atmos. I can now simply switch to it under “Spacial Sound” (before that it was set to Windows Sonic for headphones).

It’s working just fine with FxSound enabled. I can even have either of them enabled or disabled and there seems to be no issue.

Am I missing something here?

1 Like

Hi James,
First off, please know that I am not well-versed in Dolby technologies.
I would sum my own intuition up by saying, that the probability that combining FxSound with other Surround Sound settings is a case-specific hit-or-miss, is higher than the probability that you’re missing something.
See:

https://github.com/fxsound2/fxsound-app/issues/12

Hmm… well, I am using Dolby Atmos exclusively for headphones, not a speaker setup. Could that be the reason it’s working flawlessly?

1 Like

I have no idea. I honestly have no technical knowledge about those issues whatsoever.
Sorry about that.

1 Like

No worries. Thank you for taking the time to reply, I appreciate your input.

From what I can surmise, since the issues people are reporting regarding Dolby Atmos incompatibility seems to be exclusively with regards to multi-speaker (5.1 or 7.1) surround setups, and the fact that FxSound is only designed for stereo, then headphones shouldn’t have this problem, as a stereo device.

And indeed, from when I can see in my own experience, it actually works flawlessly. So that’s good news! :slight_smile:

1 Like