Need a way to boost and enhance audio when transferring video footage to PC

I am transferring home movies on VHS-C videotapes to my (Windows) PC, and then burning DVDs from there. I’m having a problem in that the resulting audio is very flat, has no dynamic range, and ambient sounds are non-existent. Pretty much the only audible sounds, after the transfer to the PC, are of people talking near the camcorder. Could FxSound be used in the transfer of footage to my PC? And, would it help solve this problem?

1 Like

Without your space helmet, Dave, you’re going to find that rather difficult…
I only know one way to re-record something while applying FxSound processing, namely with VoiceMeeter, and this has only worked with audio so far.
It’s highly likely that there are similar mixing tools available, but I have not heard of those yet.

Certainly not.
Where were the cassettes played before?
Only TV or connected to an audio amplifier with good speakers?
How was the sound there?
if they are very old audio/video recordings, the only way is to extract the audio track and remaster it with one of the countless tools.
Similar to the state-of-the-art Steinberg Wavelabs, there are also one-click solutions, but I can’t remember the names.
i once remastered sound ballets using a professional sound card, sampled the audio signal from the disk and then carefully remastered it. it can be a time-consuming process, or look for a one-click solution as mentioned, would be perfectly adequate for videotapes.

1 Like

@Ananda96:

Thank you for chiming in.
I know I’m a noob. I’m just doing my best to help.