FxSound Not Detecting Headset

App isn’t automatically swapping to my Steelseries Arctis 7 headset when I plug it in. If I go into Windows Sound Settings and make a change while the headset is plugged in, it will detect and swap, but it I will have to do it manually each time. Headset will not show in the “Playback Device Select” menu unless I make a change in the Windows sound settings. I’ve reinstalled the app several times, but no luck. Any help would be appreciated.

1 Like

Good afternoon,

Apologies for the trouble on behalf of the team.
This is a quick link to my standard troubleshooting list.

At the risk of stating the obvious (since you’ve most likely already tried this), the first and most logical thing to do would be to enable automatic switching:


One of our most helpful forum regulars posted this advice:

Also, since you probably already have an account, SteelSeries Sonar was recently recommended as a viable alternative to FxSound:

Hi Vijay,
User @zamman91 is having trouble with FxSound.
SteelSeries headset is not detected, and switching is problematic.
Could you please assist?
Thank you.

Good morning,

I did enable automatic switching, the problem is the headset isn’t being detected when I plug it in. I do switch between speakers and the headset frequently and when I remove the dongle from the computer and then replace it, FxSound just doesn’t detect the headset without some manipulation in Windows settings. I also did go down through the troubleshooting list prior to making the post and unfortunately no luck.

1 Like

I’ve tagged and messaged the lead audio engineer, I hope he’ll get back to you soon.
In the meanwhile, I know it’s a long shot, but here are some more tips:

Here, we are not making the distinction between 1. USB device not recognized 2. DFX not polling /not reading recognized devices

I would rule out/in a working USB port first. The following assumes a good port.

Does the windows volume mixer see the BT device? If yes, enable sound by cycling BT on/off.

If No, report.


FxSound gets the audio devices detected by OS. We need to troubleshoot that if for any reason your headset is not getting listed even though OS enumerates the device. Can you please run this powershell script which lists the audio devices from Windows, and share the output with us.

Get-CimInstance Win32_PnPEntity | Where-Object { $.ClassGuid -eq ‘{c166523c-fe0c-4a94-a586-f1a80cfbbf3e}’ } | ForEach-Object {
$deviceName = $
$deviceGUID = $_.PNPDeviceID -match ‘({.*})’ | ForEach-Object { $matches[1] }
Name = $deviceName
PKEY_AudioEndpoint_GUID = $deviceGUID

1 Like

Somehow, this problem resolved itself. I suspect one of the Windows updates, but can’t swear to it.