Cannot completely uninstall FxSound

FxSound notified me of an update so I downloaded and startednthe install. Then the install quit with a notice to troubleshoot.

I went to sounds and found I had two FxSound entriesm so I tried deleting the second one. No luck.

I uninstalled FxSound and the ghost copy remained in sound, so I reinstalled and uninstalled using Revo to catch any remaining fragments and there were many.

The ghost was still there. I deleted with the Device Mananger and rebooted. The ghost is still in sounds.

Win 11 64 bit. Fully up-to-date.

1 Like

Hi Al,
The same thing happened to me a few days ago when I wanted to reinstall an older version.
Deleting the driver in Device Manager, rebooting, and uninstalling from Control Panel after that, did the trick for me though.
Is FxSound (Audio Enhancer) still present in your Device Manager’s Sound section or in your Control Panel’s Programs section?

I can remove it from the Device Manager, but it remains in System/Sound, then reappears in the DM when I reboot.

I even used Revo to find the fragments left behind and there were man y. Usually Revo can clean up afer bad uninstallers, but not this time. Something is left that Windows sees but is not identified iotherwise with FxSound.

As for deleting the Program folder, I do not see one after the uninstall.

1 Like

What I meant was: have you tried uninstalling FxSound as a program through the Win11 Control Panel? Or does this simply not work…

As far as I know, there are two main folders created on your C: drive after installing FxSound:

C: \ Program Files \ FxSound LLC
C: \ Users \ [ your username ] \ AppData \ Roaming \ FxSound

The second folder will be hidden, so you’ll need to unhide it first if you want to delete it manually, by clicking on Tools > Folder Options > View in the menu bar on top, and enabling “Show hidden files, folders, and drives.”

I’m assuming you’ve already found the link to other free uninstallers included in the troubleshooting list?

I started with the CP app and then reinstalled and used Revo, which has served me well in the past. I used the DM several times.

These were initial efforts. Then I posted and saw a hint to look elewhere besides Program Files and found FxSound folders in Tasks and AppData folders.

I’ll nuc them. I imagine that accounts for the ghost.

At any rate the uninstaller only finds a small portion of the stuff FxSound adds to the system and the syastem creates itself.

As I say Revo found a long list , but for some reason missed these.

May be time to go back to iobit.

Regardless, the take-home message here is that the uninstaller supplied is incomplete. This is often the case when uninstalling software that has been updated several times. The uninstaller misses crap fromm earlier versions.

1 Like

OK. I used "Everything"tio hunt down all the folders and deleted them and even the error reports, rebooted, and the damn thing is still in System/Sounds.

1 Like

Thanks.
I forwarded your conclusion to FxSound’s lead engineer, and notified him of your persistent issues.
My apologies for your trouble on behalf of the team.

Thanks. I dug deeper. On System/Sound, the driver is 14.1.0.0
In the DM, the undead driver is 10.0.22621.1

This is after multiple deletions and reboots.

I guess I’ll have to find the drivers but I am guessing they are not named FxSoundxxx

1 Like

You can find their locations easily by clicking on “Driver Details” in the Driver tab of the device’s Properties.

Mine are all in
C: \ Windows \ system32 \ drivers

Be extra careful when tinkering with this folder. DO NOT delete any of the Microsoft or other drivers, ONLY those issued by FxSound.
Look under Copyright.

I have never deleted any of these drivers manually, and to be honest, in this case, it would seem wisest to simply exercise a bit of patience and wait for @bvijay’s reply.

You can try these steps to uninstall and delete the driver. In device manager choose view the “Devices by driver” option.

Select fxvad.inf, right-click and select the remove driver option. Remove driver from next dialog.

1 Like

From Windows 10 onwards, Windows introduced a driver repository to manage the driver installations. So, apart from the active version of the driver in system32\drivers, other version of the drivers will be managed by the OS in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository.
So, it is better to delete all the driver versions from device manager.

1 Like

Thanks. I found one – oem96.inf (fxvad.inf) – and deleted it and will resume this later. I have a busy day.

1 Like

For remove installed drivers, better use DriverStoreExplorer.

2 Likes

That is a handy app. for finding and sorting through drivers. Thanks.

Anyhow, removing the one driver in the DM seemed to remove references to both. FxSound seemed to be gone completely.

So I re-installed FxSound and it seemed to be working properly until I connected a TV by HDMI, at which point I lost all sound for a while until I wandered through all the various sound setting and re-enabled my speakers.

Is FxSound working now? I’ll know in a day or so.

Thanks for all the help.

1 Like