" Settings file not found! " when trying to launch FxSound

Installing FxSound works fine however, after it’s done installing, opening the app causes the “Settings file not found!” error window to appear and the app to not launch. FxSoundEnhancer (FxSoundPremium) works, but that’s on a limited demo, so I cannot rely on that. Does anyone know how to fix the “Settings file not found!” error? I’m willing to provide more info if needed.

1 Like

Sorry for the trouble.
First time I’m hearing about this error; would be helpful to see a screenshot; however, the forum does not allow new users to upload images, so you’ll have to upload it to an external site and then post a link to the image.
Alternatively, I’m willing to send you my e-mail address in a PM if this is easier for you.
In the meanwhile, I’ll go ahead and tag @bvijay, FxSound’s lead programmer, since he’ll probably know what this error means, and I do not.

1 Like

@Plide please check if FxSound.settings file is present in %APPDATA%\FxSound directory. FxSound installation should normally create the defaults settings file in this directory. If the file is not created due to any permission issue, then you can copy FxSound.settings from %PROGRAMDATA%\FxSound to %APPDATA%\FxSound

1 Like

Wow, thanks for this superfast solution! :two_hearts:

thanks

1 Like

Are you sure you installed the latest free version?

2 Likes

Thank you very much. It turns out I didn’t have access to the folder, so I right clicked on the FxSound folder, hit properties > security > advanced then changed owner to “Users” and ticked “Replace owner on sub containers and objects.” Thank you very much for all of your help!

2 Likes

Happy to help, glad you fixed it. :smile:

The reported solution indicates a non-standard installation of the Windows OS and/or includes a manual system modification that does not address the underlying cause.

This solution is not generic.

1 Like

@Antman, correct me if I am wrong. I believe that the current user is expected to have full permission to %APPDATA% folder. So, if for any reason the user didn’t have permission, the FxSound.settings fail to get created. If it is more common that the user may not have permission to %APPDATA%, we can think of a solution.

1 Like

“I right clicked on the FxSound folder, hit properties > security > advanced then changed owner to “Users” and ticked “Replace owner on sub containers and objects.” =
“if for any reason the user didn’t have permission”

Unmanaged systems do not withstand managed alteration. My initial reply is a warning to googlers.

The most likely cause of the reported affect is the user’s familiarity with the reported solution. The user has learned (he fucked around and found out - a good thing). The reader cannot. The reader can only f’up a standard Windows OS install.

1 Like

If FxSound.settings file is not present in %APPDATA%\FxSound, then upon FxSound launch the file gets created. User will get the error only if FxSound does not have the permission to create the file. So, running FxSound as an administrator is another option to overcome the issue. Subsequent launches can be as standard user, but the settings changes will not get saved. Application launch error can be avoided this way and this does not require any manual changes to the settings file.

1 Like

yeah still having this issue and its just giving me a box whenever I try and update permissions that say’s

“Error Applying Security”
An error occureed while applying security information to:

C:\ProgramData\FxSound

Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied.

so, my question is how did this software somehow literally make it to be the first thing pops up on the largest and most popular search engine in the world but someone has to damn near become a software engineer in order to get the program up and running, did an intern write this program for you guys? I definitely would be embarrassed to have my product at the very front of the search results only for it be this much of hassle for someone to get this thing to work properly. I probably would be better off watching a couple of youtube videos on how to write a better sound setting program myself at this point. it should not take someone a literal full hour of troubleshooting and digging into support forums only for th damn problem to still not be solved. Would definitley be giving my money to someone else at this point (even though I think something like this should be free just like most phone apps for somehting like would be) just in spite of how infuriating it is deal with what should the simplist of programs to write. And if you’re wondering why I’m so upset its because only the best of products should be at the top of google search results and I will be contacting google to let them know their reputation isn’t being upheld by the quality of the products they’re allowing to be at the front of their advertising space.

@fevglikbgjhs ,the error message “Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied.” means that your user account does not have any access permission to the folder.
You can confirm that if the logged in user has permission to the required folder with the command “icacls”, provided the user account has permission to run command prompt.
FxSound is not designed to account for the scenarios where the required settings folders are being tampered with or if the user account has very limited rights that the settings folder cannot even be read. Based on your feedback we can train our interns to write applications smart enough to address all these crazy scenarios.

1 Like

I have the same problem and I have not been able to solve it, the previous version worked correctly for me but when I updated I started to get this error Setting file not found and I have already tried different ways and still nothing.
FXSound

1 Like

Hi Luis,
Which version of FxSound are you trying to install (v1.1.20.0 being the most recent one)?
I’ve notified Vijay, he should be getting back to you asap.
I know it’s not an actual solution, but if all else fails and you can do without the updates outlined in the changelog, you can always reinstall one of the previous versions, and maybe try again when the next update is released.

Hi @Baltodano
This error will occur only if the FxSound settings are deleted are not accessible.
Please check if FxSound.settings file is either present in %APPDATA%\FxSound or %PROGRAMDATA%\FxSound.
If the settings file is present in %PROGRAMDATA%\FxSound then the currently logged in user should have read permission to the path. You can check the access permission to %PROGRAMDATA% with the command “icacls”
If the FxSound.settings file is not present then please try reinstalling the application again.

1 Like

Thanks for the help, I did not have access to the %PROGRAMDATA%\FxSound folder for some reason, what I did was install FXSound in a virtual machine and copy the created folder and replace it with the one that was giving me problems and I solved it like that.

1 Like

See here the solution after researching this problem

2 Likes

@justinfoHowto:
Awesome, thanks for that! :heavy_heart_exclamation:

1 Like

I am happy to help you. I have not used the program for a year because of this problem

1 Like