" Settings file not found! " when trying to launch FxSound

Installing FxSound works fine however, after it’s done installing, opening the app causes the “Settings file not found!” error window to appear and the app to not launch. FxSoundEnhancer (FxSoundPremium) works, but that’s on a limited demo, so I cannot rely on that. Does anyone know how to fix the “Settings file not found!” error? I’m willing to provide more info if needed.

1 Like

Sorry for the trouble.
First time I’m hearing about this error; would be helpful to see a screenshot; however, the forum does not allow new users to upload images, so you’ll have to upload it to an external site and then post a link to the image.
Alternatively, I’m willing to send you my e-mail address in a PM if this is easier for you.
In the meanwhile, I’ll go ahead and tag @bvijay, FxSound’s lead programmer, since he’ll probably know what this error means, and I do not.

1 Like

@Plide please check if FxSound.settings file is present in %APPDATA%\FxSound directory. FxSound installation should normally create the defaults settings file in this directory. If the file is not created due to any permission issue, then you can copy FxSound.settings from %PROGRAMDATA%\FxSound to %APPDATA%\FxSound

1 Like

Wow, thanks for this superfast solution! :two_hearts:

thanks

1 Like

Are you sure you installed the latest free version?

2 Likes

Thank you very much. It turns out I didn’t have access to the folder, so I right clicked on the FxSound folder, hit properties > security > advanced then changed owner to “Users” and ticked “Replace owner on sub containers and objects.” Thank you very much for all of your help!

2 Likes

Happy to help, glad you fixed it. :smile:

The reported solution indicates a non-standard installation of the Windows OS and/or includes a manual system modification that does not address the underlying cause.

This solution is not generic.

1 Like

@Antman, correct me if I am wrong. I believe that the current user is expected to have full permission to %APPDATA% folder. So, if for any reason the user didn’t have permission, the FxSound.settings fail to get created. If it is more common that the user may not have permission to %APPDATA%, we can think of a solution.

1 Like

“I right clicked on the FxSound folder, hit properties > security > advanced then changed owner to “Users” and ticked “Replace owner on sub containers and objects.” =
“if for any reason the user didn’t have permission”

Unmanaged systems do not withstand managed alteration. My initial reply is a warning to googlers.

The most likely cause of the reported affect is the user’s familiarity with the reported solution. The user has learned (he fucked around and found out - a good thing). The reader cannot. The reader can only f’up a standard Windows OS install.

1 Like

If FxSound.settings file is not present in %APPDATA%\FxSound, then upon FxSound launch the file gets created. User will get the error only if FxSound does not have the permission to create the file. So, running FxSound as an administrator is another option to overcome the issue. Subsequent launches can be as standard user, but the settings changes will not get saved. Application launch error can be avoided this way and this does not require any manual changes to the settings file.

1 Like