Crash in rdp

When connecting to a host with FXSound installed via Windows Remote Desktop, FXSound will crash and exit. I saw another report here (Connecting to machine over RDP causes this error [OOPS ERROR]) but the topic is locked Unable to view, how to solve this fault? Thank you

2 Likes

Hi pedoc,
The thread was locked due to extended inactivity.
The only post in that thread is the opening post; user is describing the Oops error; I pinned a sticky to the top of the forum offering multiple solutions for the Oops error.
Hope that helps.

Hi, thanks for the reply
I’ve checked the system settings as per the troubleshooting, under RDP the sound devices are left with only remote audio (no FxSound Speakers). Whereas if I log in directly on this machine, I can see more sound devices (including FxSound Speakers), maybe This is the cause of the problem.

At the same time, check the audio devices in the device manager, and you can also see that there is only one “remote audio”, so, can this problem be solved?

1 Like

@PLEASE_DELETE, @bvijay: Can you guys shine some light on this, perhaps?

There is an article in Microsoft forums on RDP audio, and the solution given is to enable “Allow audio and video playback redirection” in the group policy,
Local Computer Policy->Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->Windows Components->Remote Desktop Session Host->Device and Resource Redirection
Remote Desktop Connection not pulling in audio from local machine to remote physical machine - Microsoft Q&A
Please see if this helps.

1 Like

Thanks, Vijay.
Let’s hope this is not one of those users who posts a Get Help thread and then never returns.

Of course not, LOL

I’ll give feedback after trying it later today.

Hi, thanks for the info, but after trying it it didn’t work.

When I enable “Allow audio and video playback redirection” through group policy (the computer has been restarted after modification), the crash dialog still pops up when connecting from RDP.

OS
win11 22H2 22622.290

Have you already tried to fully uninstall FxSound with specialized complete uninstaller software like IObit Uninstaller Free or BCUninstaller, and then reinstalling?

To avoid environmental interference, I freshly installed win11 22H2 in the virtual machine, and installed the latest FxSound 1.1.16.

When connected to the virtual host via RDP, the error dialog pops up as expected, doesn’t seem to be an environment issue.

Everything works fine when logging in directly.

Honestly, I’m not a tech guy, all I can do is call in help again.
@PLEASE_DELETE & @bvijay: Some more assistance with this RDP thing would be appreciated.
Thanks.

I guess this is more a case for bvijay since i have no insight into the tech of FxSound. I also do not use Microfts preinstalled applications much; when i do remote work, i use TeamViewer which works fine with FxSound.

1 Like

@pedoc we need to investigate further on making FxSound device available over RDP.
Can you please run this common in powershell and share us the output.
wmic sounddev list full
It will help us debug this issue and find a solution.

1 Like

Of course :smile:

1. this is the output of this command after logging in directly
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> wmic sounddev list full

Availability=
ConfigManagerErrorCode=0
ConfigManagerUserConfig=FALSE
Description=High Definition Audio Device
DeviceID=HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_15AD&DEV_1975&SUBSYS_15AD1975&REV_1001\5&217BE3D6&0&0001
DMABufferSize=
ErrorCleared=
ErrorDescription=
InstallDate=
LastErrorCode=
Manufacturer=Microsoft
MPU401Address=
Name=High Definition Audio Device
PNPDeviceID=HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_15AD&DEV_1975&SUBSYS_15AD1975&REV_1001\5&217BE3D6&0&0001
PowerManagementCapabilities=
PowerManagementSupported=FALSE
ProductName=High Definition Audio Device
Status=OK
StatusInfo=3

Availability=
ConfigManagerErrorCode=0
Description=FxSound Audio Enhancer
DeviceID=ROOT\MEDIA\0000
DMABufferSize=
ErrorCleared=
ErrorDescription=
InstallDate=
LastErrorCode=
Manufacturer=FxSound
MPU401Address=
Name=FxSound Audio Enhancer
PNPDeviceID=ROOT\MEDIA\0000
ProductName=FxSound Audio Enhancer
Status=OK
StatusInfo=3
  1. This is the output of this command after logging in via RDP
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> wmic sounddev list full

Availability=
ConfigManagerErrorCode=0
Description=High Definition Audio Device
DeviceID=HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_15AD&DEV_1975&SUBSYS_15AD1975&REV_1001\5&217BE3D6&0&0001
DMABufferSize=
ErrorCleared=
ErrorDescription=
InstallDate=
LastErrorCode=
Manufacturer=Microsoft
MPU401Address=
Name=High Definition Audio Device
PNPDeviceID=HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_15AD&DEV_1975&SUBSYS_15AD1975&REV_1001\5&217BE3D6&0&0001
ProductName=High Definition Audio Device
Status=OK
StatusInfo=3

Availability=
ConfigManagerErrorCode=0
Description=FxSound Audio Enhancer
DeviceID=ROOT\MEDIA\0000
DMABufferSize=
ErrorCleared=
ErrorDescription=
InstallDate=
LastErrorCode=
Manufacturer=FxSound
MPU401Address=
Name=FxSound Audio Enhancer
PNPDeviceID=ROOT\MEDIA\0000
ProductName=FxSound Audio Enhancer
Status=OK
StatusInfo=3

When I use Beyond Compare to compare, they are the same.

I took a dump of the process at the time of the crash, here is the dump file
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JIBZN3RCpjzogc1-WA-91UYEi1rDwAqu/view?usp=sharing

Noting that other people have reported that FxSound works fine when using TeamViewer, and I have VNCServer installed on the host machine and connect via VNCViewer, and FxSound also works fine.

So, maybe it’s because RDP works differently and then conflicts with FxSound

Sound devices are displayed correctly in Device Manager when connected using VNC.

Thank you @pedoc for the detailed analysis and the crash dump. It will be of great help to us in finding the root cause of the issue over RDP. I will start with the Windows core audio APIs over RDP and try to find a solution soon for this issue.

2 Likes