Best Audio Settings for my Headset?

Hello! New here, I was wondering how I should set-up my preset to get the best sound for music. I’m looking to unmuffle the current sound in my headset, but while I’ve managed to sort of fix that, I’m facing two issues. One, when multiple people are singing, there are parts where the voices clash (like cymbals or glass) or they sound like a rumble noise. Two, I want to bring out clear instrumental quality from the song too, which works sometimes, but mostly I’ve been hearing it a little muffled still.

For reference, I’m using currently the Folk Rock preset by Dolmatov (found in the forums) and my headset is the Fachixy FC-200 Gaming Headset.

Thanks and have a great day!

2 Likes

What i have done is i use the default preset where everything is EQ at flat and effects at 0 i only use clarity at 4 and everything else at 0 and the EQ remains flat, i think that rumble noise comes from bass boost never liked bass boost because i already have a sub woofer if i want more bass i play around with the EQ, i also use the same settings when i listen to music with my headset the is no need to change anything

2 Likes

Good evening, and welcome to the FxSound forum.

@Thelucifer1978 is right in pointing out that the [EDIT] Default Preset was introduced for the particular purpose of providing users with a blank slate from which to start in creating their own custom Presets.

It is also worth noting that since v1.1.22.0, users can add up to 100 additional Presets to their UI menu. You can find a link to the instructions on how to set this up here.

Starting from Folk Rock, I would recommend reducing the Bass Boost, Dynamic Boost and Ambience Effects, since these are the most likely causes of the distortions.

The Bass Boost Effect works at 62,5 Hz, which I discovered by opening a Preset .fac file in WordPad. Instead of maxing it out, try a small raise in the two Equalizer bands to the left at 86 Hz and 158 Hz, to get a more broadly spread increase of the lower frequencies.

Raising the volume is a simple A-to-B equation, while the Dynamic Boost Effect also makes the parts of the audio stream which are relatively quiet, actively louder, and hence, adds more detail. But applying the Dynamic Boost Effect requires a more complex processing method than a mere increase in volume, and, especially at higher levels, and/or when combined with the addition of other audio effects, can therefore end up adding certain forms of unintended distortion to your audio. So if you can replace some of FxSound’s Dynamic Boost with a simple volume boost done on your system, your media player, and/or your headphones, that would also seem likely to contribute in reducing distortions.

FxSound’s Ambience Effect purposefully adds a form of echo known as reverb, a.k.a. reverberation, to your audio output, and has been similarly reported to cause certain distortions at higher levels, especially on headphones.

If you want more clarity, then you could push the Clarity Effect up a few notches to level 6 or 7, or alternatively raise the three Equalizer bands to the right that control the high frequencies up to 16 kHz.

I’ve included a model Preset for you to try below. You’ll need to change the file extension back to .fac by removing the last four signs (.txt), then follow the instructions on importing Presets to add it to your menu. You can also further tweak these settings to your own liking, of course.

GA_art.fac.txt (962 Bytes)

3 Likes

Thank you for the advice!

2 Likes

Thank you for the advice !

2 Likes

No problem. Happy to help.

1 Like