New Version doesn't work with 5.1 surround sound configuration?

My FXS does set up fine on 5.1, and the Test finds every speaker channel separately. Also tested it on my 5.1 version of “Wish you were here” played from MediaMonkey 5 (has a built in 5.1 decoder) and it works perfectly

2 Likes

Thanks @Dsotm for your help! :+1:
Glad to know it does work.

I did some research on forums re connecting pc to AV receiver via HDMI. The forum member stated that you do not need to update the playback device on the PC. Just leave it on stereo. The signal will be sent to AV where the 5.1 surround conversion will happen. I guess if it reads out Dolby DTS on the AV receiver it works.

1 Like

Thanks for looking that up.
Once you’ve installed your system, feel free to show off in the Equipment thread:

1 Like

I can definitely confirm, that FxSound is working fine on 5.1 (Logitech Z906 here). However, as far as i know, there IS a still existing issue with the configuration of the speaker setup in Windows since it shows you two SIDE speakers and not two REAR speakers, when selecting 5.1. As i was told, this is a known issues which was once fixed in a older version but caused other issues and was therefore reverted. That said, there might be other multi-monitor issues open currently and maybe automatically solved with upcoming versions.

1 Like

I’ve come across issues with the app and 5.1 running X-Fi Titanium on DTS, in my case it seems specific to upmixing.

I’ve found that if the individual app supports upmixing then 5.1 works with FXSound, but if I have FXSound running and want to play music via youtube then my X-Fi Titanium settings for X-Fi CMSS 3D / DTS Upmixing are ignored and youtube plays in stereo, closing the FxSound App and re-launching my browser to youtube and Upmixing suddenly kicks in again.

Something in the FxSound app seems to be overriding X-Fi CMSS 3D or DTS Neo or both.

My solution at the moment is to only launch FxSound when I’m using my headphones via Volt 1 Interface.

My suggestion would be if its possible to add the ability to blacklist audio interfaces in FxSound so it doesnt touch them as regardless of what interface is selected, if the app is running it breaks Upmixing.

1 Like

Nice of you to report this, Dan. Appreciated.
I doubt, however, that the solution you proposed will be a priority fix.
Simply because it just doesn’t seem likely to me that a blacklist function in the app will be implemented anytime soon.
FxSound has always been a system-wide program, and I doubt that this will change in the future.
But please do note that this is merely speculation on my part.

1 Like

That’s understandable and makes sense, thank you for your reply. It would be a “nice to have”.

1 Like

It looks like these functions are related to the driver. There are similar Dolby/DTS features on some built-in realtek.
Running the program switches to its driver (audio device), disabling the functions of a sound card driver.
You can change the number of channels in the system settings for the DFX/FxSound audio device, but do not use the functions of another driver and the included software.

1 Like

Count me in, whenever I changed the speaker configuration to 5.1 Surround it reverts back to stereo.

1 Like

@Franzinator: Any news yet?

Not yet. Waiting for a new house with rear speaker built in ceiling. :slight_smile:

Of course, it will work perfectly!!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

1 Like

Hello @bvijay;
User @maersovac is experiencing difficulties using FxSound with a 5.1 setup [EDIT: difficulties producing stereo output, actually]; see below.
My knowledge on that topic is quasi non-existent; could you take a look, and perhaps troubleshoot?
Thank you.

Added today by @spark:

I had this problem and saw a comment about turn mono audio on in sound settings.I now have sound from all speakers.Don’t know if it’s proper 5.1 but for what I want it’s fine.

1 Like

I think we can all agree that that’s a pretty counterintuitive solution - but if it does the trick, I’m not going to argue with the results!
Thanks for sharing!

I have solved my issue by changing the default audio format to 24/96.

1 Like

Another user reporting issues with a 7.1 setup:

BTW, there is a ton of audio test files in all possible formats and all possible number of channels here: Audio Test Files - Google Drive

1 Like