New "Mini-Mode" (Condensed View) User Interface

Maybe something that’s much smaller and includes the Visualizer. What do you guys think of the current condensed view? We get some feedback that our user interface is too big.

2 Likes

doesn’t sound like a bad idea. most of the time i have one preset i make, maybe 2. i’d select the one i want but only need the power button after that lol. can be a lot of ways to make a mini-mode/compact view. can make a few different compacts to choose from also. have one that’s half size, the current compact view and have one that’s purely the power button almost like a widget. but the main reasons my self would be to reduce as much consumption as i can on processing, which the current one does REALLY well. i think the current compact view isn’t bad, probably some don’t know how to use compact mode and doesn’t know what that arrows button does. but looking at it… i guess even in compact mode it can be reduced visually a bit more and less spacing between everything, but, again… me personally, i like it as it is.

also, unsure if this is off topic, how ever, it can be related i guess, but also think i emailed this to you a while back. being able to toggle the visualizer on or off. me personally, i ONLY use it when playing music, or testing audio related things. other wise I’d prefer it off. but since i still am a dirty old user, i still use good ol winamp for music which has a bunch of those things lol.

1 Like

Honestly not a bad idea, but i find it quite annoying not being able to resize the FXSound window as i would like to. Would be great if despite this new Mini-mode, resizing would still be implemented on both modes

2 Likes

that would definitely give more flexibility for custom sizing of the app.

Making the window resizable is likely a bit trickier, but I’ll ask my lead developer to see what he thinks!

2 Likes

If just to resize the window removing the settings and making the power button much smaller (it really does not need to be this large).

2 Likes

I refer to my thread: Starting minimized

Ssince the last patch FXSound no longer opens minimized but always in the foreground.
Is there a way to start FxSounds minimized when starting Windows?

Greetings

1 Like

grafik
Maybe this size?

How about a pop-out menu when someone right-clicks the info tray icon? Since the selection of the wanted audio device already moved there to prevent opening FxSound all the time to switch it, this would perfectly go along. It could be moved to a sub-menu and maybe only show the most needed features the users want or need most. We could make some kind of survey here to find out what is used the most …

1 Like

I support @sthsenior’s idea.
Would be nice.

Before the users liking the current style complain after a possible change: why not going the whole way then and making everything wether optional and/or customizable? At least, the user should be able to select which type of view he likes; the full featured one, a condensed one, a minimalistic one … like they do in other applications these days, too. Normally, when just giving a selection and only the elements and the layout are changed, the needed effort is maybe not that big.

The next step would be, implementing some kind of skinning so users also can create skins for the app. Did we not have this in the past already? I mean, it would also help in gaining some more much needed popularity back from the goold old days … couldn’t hurt, right? :slight_smile:

1 Like

We could offer some more options. But adding customizable skin compatibility would be much harder on the new FxSound.

1 Like

Its not an issue for me personally since i can go with the default interface after i do not use it much when everything is set and it is not that bad.

But since the people asked … sure, all depends on what technology is used on the backend and how good or bad it supports customization of the UI.

Maybe one could offer a compromise as the additional options you mentioned. Maybe just something to tighten up everything a bit like the “condensed” views several applications offer these days so you only have to edit the existing theme if that helps.

Or maybe doing 1-2 alternative UIs which are hardcoded but one can chose from or something. I really think the frontside of an application is important, too! No one likes to use an ulgy app and i think there always should be a balance between form and function.

1 Like

Screenshot_1

Still using DFX as it supports mini skins, which I need to have visible on the desktop, since I often switch presets.

2 Likes

@nicoX: Rockin’ it oldskool style.
I can dig it. :disguised_face:

1 Like

Never been a fan of the old UIs since they were so overloaded with details and effects and what not. However, tastes are different. But on my end, i like FxSound being in the background and hidden and since i do not change settings much, i do not interact with the UI anyway. But i do generally support customizability on any application for sure!

1 Like

I find it quite visually cool, specially this UI I’m using and when the graph kicks in. I can agree that there were not many good ones for DFX.

Likewise, I would go for the FX one, but I don’t know why it still lacks basic functions as key bindings. I would like to bind my presets, let’s say between music and movie, with a simple key bind, instead of going around clicking with your mouse.

1 Like

I completely understand where you are coming from here; i do use keybinds a lot myself. However, with FxSound, the shortest/quickest way to switch sound devices/presets is using the context menu on the info tray icon; using the mouse, of course.

But with the current version 1.15.1, i do see a keybind for preset switching; did you tried that?

About the development: do not forget there are only TWO guys there; @james and @bvijay . On top of that, the development back in the days was done by someone else as i understand it; maybe read about James family story if you want. Not sure it is wanted to mention that in more details here in respect of him. And on top of THAT, there is the situation that they made the application free which alone needs courage the size of Arkansas! And hosting and development does cost money also. That’s the reason many of us are here: seeing where we can support the guys to help them help us — with that very cool application! :slight_smile: They could have discontinued it easily instead, but didn’t … Guess you see where all this points to … just saying and no harm meant! :wink:

2 Likes

Cool, thanks. I just try, but the checkbox is not unselectable.

1 Like

Yapp, i can confirm this. Was not aware of that since i always disabled the keybinds but now i’m not able to re-enable them, too. Clean install/reinstall of 1.1.15.0 does not solve this.

I also tried to change the value of “<VALUE name="hotkeys" val="0"/>” from “0” to “1” under “C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\FxSound” and shut down FS before, but it results int the same.

At this point, @bvijay should have a look since i remember this setting working a few major version back …

2 Likes