Controlling frequencies past 20KHz

I see many users asking for control over lower frequencies, but today I was listening to “vampire” by Olivia Rodrigo, and at the beginning of the song I could hear a very high-pitched buzzing noise, likely due to the post-processing increasing intensity in the 7KHz - 20KHz range to make it sound better and clearer, but they probably overdid it and now there’s a buzzing noise. Adjusting the 16KHz band does reduce the buzzing but makes the voice feel duller, I’m pretty sure the buzzing is over 16KHz and it’d be really nice if I could isolate that band without affecting the voice too much.
Thanks for developing this btw, I really love this program, as soon as I downloaded it, it felt like I bought a new pair of expensive headphones but mine are like 4-5 years old, I’ll certainly consider a donation when I get the chance

1 Like

Duly noted, and added to the main EQ thread, so James will receive your request as well as your compliment.

That being said and done, I came across this article from SoundGuys dot com recently which claims - - well, it’s easier if I just copy-paste their words…

Question: could you pinpoint the time in the song?
Because I’ve listened to it three times, and didn’t hear the noise.
Total duration 03.39 , three minutes and thirty-nine seconds, right?

1 Like

Hey, sorry for the late reply, I can feel a big buzz at 0:37 (Spotify timing), right as she says “truly”. Another buzz at 0:15, when she says “Hate to give”. A very subtle one at 0:30 at “the parties and the diamonds”. The buzzes seem to stop at around 0:40. Then I can hear a click or beep at 1:25 right as she says “called”. Keep in mind I’m very young (still in high school) and have never had significant damage to my ears, I can hear subtle frequencies of up to 21KHz if I really focus, and just in general I have very sensitive ears. I also have tinnitus but I can tell when I get the ringing, and I know the buzzing is from the song since I always hear it at the same time. Thanks for being so quick on this forum

EDIT: A Reddit thread also hears the buzzing, so it’s confirmed I’m not crazy :rofl:

1 Like

I could also show my current EQ profile if that helps, even though I hear the buzzing even without the EQ

1 Like

Okay. Thanks for that.
Give me a few minutes to listen for it again, I’ll get right back to you.

1 Like

You’re right, I found multiple threads on it, in fact.
But after listening to various versions of the song, with the Clarity slider and the two right EQ bands pumped, I … honestly, still can’t hear much distortion…
Except perhaps for some background noise in the opening silence (without singing), which is just the band and/or crew getting ready to record I think…
After really, really paying close attention, I think I can hear a tiny bit of ultra-high frequency “crackle” or static at the 00.37 mark, on the “truly,” but if you hadn’t mentioned it, I never would’ve noticed that.
And while I can hear the “click” at 01.25, it seems to me to be, a simple lip-smack… ?
Anyway, I boarded tram four this year, so I guess what you’re hearing is too high-frequency for me… :sweat_smile:
Sorry.

1 Like

If you’re looking for extreme equalization options - and we’re talking beyond-the-pale, unlimited bands, unlimited tabs, fully customizable EQ’s here - you might want to give this tool a chance.
I’m pretty sure there should be a way to alternate between this and FxSound, in case they turn out to be incompatible (disable one while enabling the other, and vice versa).
It also supports some VST plugins, like Infected Mushroom’s Wider
But, be sure to read the instructions before installing and using it.

1 Like

Wow, I checked the link for the tool, it does have a lot of options, but I think it’s just waaaaaay too much, I really prefer the simplicity and user friendliness of FxSound. I would just really prefer to have that one program that does everything and isn’t too complicated, thanks for looking into this topic so much, never seen such an active forum anywhere

1 Like

Same here, so, I understand.
Happy to help anytime!

1 Like