Discontinuing Active Development of FxSound

Earlier this year we decided to make FxSound free for everyone. Since then hundreds of thousands of new users have gotten free access to better sound.

Our hope was that we’d be able to rely on user donations to support further development of the FxSound software. Unfortunately we’re just not making enough to do so.

We will continue to do our best to help you all with technical support issues here on the forum, but we can no longer afford to make new developments for FxSound.

I’d like to thank you all so much for the support nonetheless. I’ve so enjoyed building this product for you and all of our amazing users.

Thank you,
James Titchener
Owner, FxSound

6 Likes

Sadly. It’s a pity that you weren’t able to address some of the notable issues reported by users. This could keep the product in the Internet repository a little longer, although it is impossible to stop looking for flaws.

It is also disappointing that users of previous paid versions received a complete denial of support. I was expecting the idea to make an official old full version with “approved” activation built in would be suggested someday. But no further service. Alternatively, a separate tool for offline activation. Since from the marketing side I do not see the active influence of this idea on the system of voluntary contributions, the idea itself seems to me worth mentioning.

Used Google Translate.

2 Likes

I also suggested this, since I knew from monitoring the forum that it would have satisfied a lot of users, users who made a pretty accurate point when they mentioned that they had paid good money for a lifetime subscription to the particular product they bought…

But I’m guessing the idea was/is to have the new free version replace all the previous ones in one fell swoop.
That way, all users both old and new would still get FxSound, ànd an upgraded version of it.

Your father and you and your team made a good thing and your work has honored him well. May the wind always be at your back.

2 Likes

very good fx sound Thank you

2 Likes

I was always a torrent user, I was young and without money. Now I find out that DFX is in danger of existing, I make a juicy donation so that this legacy does not die, which I follow from DFX for winamp in the 90s.
Long live DFX!!

2 Likes

You guys not considering for older dfx project to be open source? github? So some bug maybe fixed. Instead of leaving the software buggy… Spartial sound not even work with dolby atmos right now… T_T"

1 Like

This sad. Is there no way to make the license fee a lot cheaper, or something that is renewable annually? I was a paid user before I installed the new version a few weeks ago. I also installed it on my dad’s laptop the other day. He is 81 years old, and not deaf but certainly a bit harder of hearing. He was able to watch and listen to his sports commentary at half the normal volume because of the clarity. I could see he enjoyed the better sound. I would be one of the first to contribute to an annual license if FX Sound could live on.

Thanks for a truly amazing product.

1 Like

**The impression I get is that only ‘active development will be discontinued, and the program will remain as is with no further ‘improvements,’ and this is probably fine with most of us since it’s great as is. If in fact, the owner James was going to give up on it completely, I imagine there would be purchasers willing to buy the rights to the program.

I believe the idea of an annual license has already been tried, it went from lifetime, (which I had), to annual, then free. **There are really no paid apps to compare it with, so the main problem is how much can you charge annually and attract a decent amount of people to sign up. As I remember when an annual charge was tried I felt it seemed too expensive, like paying what was the lifetime charge every year. If with a charge of around $5 per year the owner could see a reasonable return, I expect there would be nobody complaining about that.

2 Likes

Yes Brock, I share your sentiments. I understand the decision currently only affects new developments, and we can use the current version as it is. Which sounds fine. But running the site and this forum will also cost money. So I will continue to donate. I think your annual fee of $5 would be the perfect fee.

I had the DFX version on a lifetime license. I wasn’t aware of the annual license era. I was so impressed with the new FX sound, however. Same power but simplified. All I can do now is to donate ourselves and get more people to use and donate.

3 Likes

Your app isn’t the first great idea to be wasted on an unappreciative market. Your high download numbers demonstrate a demand. So, please bring your idea back as rebranded shareware after a few months. Most of my audio apps have been around for years, and they are almost all regularly updated shareware. I think that many music lovers don’t really understand what an app like yours can do for them. Perhaps a guided set up process isolating the improvement of each control might help. At any rate, many thanks for a great app (yes, I donated) and best of luck with future endeavors.

1 Like

I would definitely be open to it if I had any volunteers to help.

2 Likes

what does this mean? Will FX Sound still be available for download? Just your support and updates will discontinue?
I am an original DFX Pro Subscriber from back when you first developed and sold that program. I thought it was amazing that my music could sound sooo much better. I had purchased a Sound Blaster Sound Card and I used to always have my surround sound system hooked up too my PC, Playing music, house parties, everyone had a chance to play a song. It most definitely was a and still is a great program. I would shell out 9.99 a year for this. Maybe you should put it up for a trial and sale like before with DFX Pro. Dont just give up…

2 Likes

I bought the old version of dfx and paid for it. Still, i got very little if any support. Are we supposed to look for another program?

1 Like

Your software is one of my top 10 ever created in my tech experience. I bought FX sound many years ago and your software has given me theatre quality sound on my laptop and LG speakers for years…thank you so much. You have so much to be proud of…there has been so much software developed and very few programs that one seeks out year after year and is never forgotten! Great job, have a blessed life.

2 Likes

FxSound will still be available for download but we can’t promise new updates. And we’ll be doing our best to support you guys here at the forum.

2 Likes

Dear James,

I’m willing to throw my hat into the ring to get FxSound open-sourced. I’m a maintainer of a large OSS project but not an FxSound user. (I came across this thread via reddit)

Could you send me a quick email (just a ‘hello’, optionally with the current worries you have about making FxSound open source) and we can work out a plan.

Best wishes,
David

4 Likes

Hello,
I think I know the reason why people aren’t donating. some other countries may not be able to donate it due to not supporting PayPal/credit debit cards. I had also same a problem donating, In India, we don’t allow donations to you. so kindly check the technical/ different platform payment method. I have been wanting to donate to you.

I am really thankful fxsounds. They changed my life. Since I was born deaf, I wouldn’t get hear voices, or sounds from headphones at 100% volume. I wanted to increase the audio in order to clarify what they are having conversations about, zoom meetings, music, and all. Thanks to fx sounds I can increase it.

3 Likes

We offered a crypto payment option for a while, but that didn’t get much traction. Offering other payment options I think would be too involved.

1 Like